You, like us, may not have known Jack… New York-based rock trio Handsome Jack, that is. But the latest single from the band has certainly helped put them on our radar, and will likely do the same for you.
It’s an absolutely smashing version of Wilson Pickett’s mid-1960s hit “In the Midnight Hour” that has much of the soul of the original thanks to its rich horns, lush keyboards, and female backing vocals, but with the added punch of gritty, distorted vocals (think a heavier-hitting CCR, Bob Seger, or the more contemporary The Commonheart), ripping guitar, and pounding drums.
Though it’s probably impossible to do any better than Pickett did the first time around, you have to commend Handsome Jack for taking on the challenge and delivering a version you can listen to not just once out of curiosity, but that you’ll come back to and enjoy time and time again!
BluesPowR Radio[Read More...]
- Reprise Records takes us back out Riding with the King with expanded, remastered 20th anniversary edition of King/Clapton collaboration
- 11 Guys Quartet delivers big sound on Small Blues and Grooves
- Blues supergroup the Phantom Blues Band is Still Cookin’ with hot new album
- Tune into the Weekend: no need to wait ’til the Midnight Hour for Handsome Jack’s rocking cover of Wilson Pickett classic
- Forrest McDonald Band puts some of its best Blues in a Bucket on latest release
TagsAlbert Castiglia B.B. King Billy Branch Billy Price Bobby Rush Bob Corritore Bob Margolin Bob Stroger Buddy Guy Charlie Musselwhite Chesapeake Bay Blues Festival Derek Trucks Doyle Bramhall II Eric Clapton Gary Clark Jr. Gregg Allman James Cotton Jimmie Vaughan Joe Bonamassa Joe Louis Walker John Mayall Johnny Winter John Primer Jonn Del Toro Richardson Keb Mo Kenny Beedy Eyes Smith Kenny Wayne Shepherd Kim Wilson Lurrie Bell Mike Zito Monster Mike Welch Muddy Waters Mud Morganfield Nick Moss Robert Randolph Ronnie Earl Samantha Fish Shemekia Copeland Sugaray Rayford Sugar Ray & the Bluetones Taj Mahal Tedeschi Trucks Band Tom Hambridge Tommy Castro Walter Trout